Baby chicks and Coccidiosis

countrysoul4

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2017
Burrillville, RI
Am I doing the right thing by starting my chicks on Corid? The other day one of my chicks looked frumpy, tail down, isolating herself and poop a bloody strinky thing in it. The other 3 look just fine. I have two that are 3 weeks old and two that are almost 4 weeks old. I got them from two different places, big difference in their size also. So, after checking all their signs and seeing the one was like this and also is not growing at the rate like the others, I decided to treat all of them for Cocci, just in case. Im a new chick mom, so hope I did the right thing. BTW- their nursery is cleaned everyday, fresh water couple times a day, and change out feed every day. They are in house in a puppy pen w/ ecoglow warmer and heat lamp on the other side, they are not too hot, I have a temperture thingy in their w/ them.

I had medicated feed with them indoors and they still got it.

Sorry I thought you could give it during. Thanks!

This is on the thread about it on here
Medicated feed can work if and only if your chicks are simultaneously exposed to coccidia protozoa. By this method, your chicks may be able to develop their resistance/immunity to coccidiosis, gradually without experiencing infestation. If you are using medicated feed and simultaneously, meticulously, removing each and every dropping from your brooder and keeping your chicks away from your soil, you are preventing them from building resistance to a deadly disease.

Does medicated feed prevent coccidiosis?
Maybe. If you don't simultaneously expose your chicks to soil and/or adult droppings, medicated feed cannot do its job. And even if you do, it may or may not work.

I've only had the one experience with it myself and I thought it was because I had been gone for 3 days and hubby was in charge of cleaning brooder and didnt do as good of a job as I would have lol. Not sure if that was really it but he did try harder when he's had to clean brooders since so I'm not going to tell him otherwise :p

There is a bit of controversy over giving vitamins while administering Corid. Corid is a Coccidiostat which only treats Cocci. Corid is a Thiamin (Vitamin B1) blocker. B1 is required by coccidia for growth and reproduction. When coccidia ingest Corid, they experience Thiamin deficiency and starve from malnutrition - this gives the bird a chance to build resistance/immunity. To me you don't want to give poultry vitamins while on Corid - most of them contain B1. This is why I suggest giving afterwards.

This will sound awful, but I do not "clean" my brooder or where my chicks will be housed before integration. Yes, I do pick up huge piles of poop if necessary, but...chicks need to be exposed to Cocci (it's in their poop in the brooder). While scratching, etc., they will ingest small amounts of poop, this allows them to be introduced and build resistance. Same as the first week, I get dirt from the adults run (sifted) and from various places outdoors the chicks will encounter later in life. I put this in the brooder for them to pick, dust bathe and scratch through. I try to expose them early so I can see if there will be any problems. I do keep Corid on hand, so I can treat immediately if I need to.

We all do things differently, this is what BYC is all about. Before you take my advice or anyone elses' do some research/reading and come to an informed decision that best suits your unique situation, needs and problems.

Some people do follow up with a "preventative dose" for another 5-7days. You can do this if you choose.

The preventative dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon per gallon and the preventative dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

Note-I am underlining preventative so there is no confusion for people who may read this in the future as to what this particular dosage is for.

Hi! I had my first chicks a few months ago and had a chick with same thing. The advice I got from everyone on here was to treat all 15. I did a more concentrated mix that I made the sick chick drink from a few times the first day and made the other chicks drink once so I knew they all got it and then did the normal dose in water. They all ended up getting/staying better. Good luck!

Hi yes i have been giving them the medicated feed. the only different thing i did was i gave them outside time last week when it was really nice out, so they had access to the dirt and maybe cocci existed in it.

I leave them in the brooder/grow out box until I think they are ready to join a pre-existing flock.

I had medicated feed with them indoors and they still got it.
Give poultry vitamins AFTER you have finished your 5-7days of Corid treatment.
Sorry I thought you could give it during. Thanks!

This is on the thread about it on here
Medicated feed can work if and only if your chicks are simultaneously exposed to coccidia protozoa. By this method, your chicks may be able to develop their resistance/immunity to coccidiosis, gradually without experiencing infestation. If you are using medicated feed and simultaneously, meticulously, removing each and every dropping from your brooder and keeping your chicks away from your soil, you are preventing them from building resistance to a deadly disease.

Does medicated feed prevent coccidiosis?
Maybe. If you don't simultaneously expose your chicks to soil and/or adult droppings, medicated feed cannot do its job. And even if you do, it may or may not work.

I've only had the one experience with it myself and I thought it was because I had been gone for 3 days and hubby was in charge of cleaning brooder and didnt do as good of a job as I would have lol. Not sure if that was really it but he did try harder when he's had to clean brooders since so I'm not going to tell him otherwise :p

You did the right thing to give your chicks Corid.

Cocci can be every where...not just outside.

I personally, give my day old chicks dirt from my yard, so they can be exposed to the "stuff" they will soon live with.
I do not feed medicated feed and I have never had to use Corid.

You might find some usefully information here:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/poultry-coccidiosis

Back
Top Bottom