Baby chicks and Coccidiosis

countrysoul4

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2017
Burrillville, RI
Am I doing the right thing by starting my chicks on Corid? The other day one of my chicks looked frumpy, tail down, isolating herself and poop a bloody strinky thing in it. The other 3 look just fine. I have two that are 3 weeks old and two that are almost 4 weeks old. I got them from two different places, big difference in their size also. So, after checking all their signs and seeing the one was like this and also is not growing at the rate like the others, I decided to treat all of them for Cocci, just in case. Im a new chick mom, so hope I did the right thing. BTW- their nursery is cleaned everyday, fresh water couple times a day, and change out feed every day. They are in house in a puppy pen w/ ecoglow warmer and heat lamp on the other side, they are not too hot, I have a temperture thingy in their w/ them.

Hi! I had my first chicks a few months ago and had a chick with same thing. The advice I got from everyone on here was to treat all 15. I did a more concentrated mix that I made the sick chick drink from a few times the first day and made the other chicks drink once so I knew they all got it and then did the normal dose in water. They all ended up getting/staying better. Good luck!

Ok, great! Thank u so much! I put 2 tsp (20% powder) per gallon, I hope that is enough. I also mixed feed in some and fed to the sickly one, although some of the others snapped some up too. Im very glad your babies got better :) As Im reading more and more, I suspect that this happens often w/ the baby chicks?

I can't remember the exact dosing but from what I understand it cant hurt them. How long has it been sick and how long since you started treating it? I think I have dosing written down.

ok ill check that out. she has been this way for 2 days. i noticed yesterday morning she looked frumpy w/ tail down and then an hour later she did a poo that had blood in it. so today will be the 2nd day. i started the Corid last night. Thank u for your help!

yesterday morning i noticed she looked frumpy w/ tail down and then an hour later she had a poo w/ blood in it. i started the corid last night. thank u for your help, i will check out that sight

Back
Top Bottom