Baby Chicks and essential oils

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joelandbrandy, Feb 29, 2016.

1. joelandbrandy

joelandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2015
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Will I kill my baby chicks if I diffuse essential oils in the house? Specifically the DoTerra Breathe blend? My husband has a cold and could benefit from it, but I don't want to compromise the chicks in any way. I'm such an anxious chicken mama!

1 person likes this.
  2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Ok, well I know this is an old post, but, you can totally diffuse essential oils around chicks! I love love love doTERRA! I have used essential oils on my chickens countless times and they have worked wonders. Do you use doTERRA much?

3. MeTxLady

MeTxLady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    Hey there! Saw your reply on this thread and that you use EOs on your chickens a lot. I love doTerra and I have a ton of oils. Just wondering all the ways I can use them for my chickens. I have one hen with a bad case of bumblefoot right now. We have been soaking her feet in an antibiotic solution every night but I was wondering if I could apply an oil to the bottoms of her feet. Maybe lavender or oregano? and would I need to mix with a carrier oil such as coconut?

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there! I do not think that oregano would be a great oil to put on bumblefoot, while it may be a great infection killer, oregano is considered a hot oil, especially an oil as pure dōTERRA's, do you have Melalueca or Frankincense? Those would be good ones to use without hurting her foot from a hot oil like oregano. And yes, I would dilute the oils with something, do you have FCO (fractionated coconut oil) if so, that is probably the best thing to dilute it with. Also, check out this article I wrote on using essential oils for chickens:https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/essential-oils-and-chickens. Please feel free to message me if you ever have any additional questions, I am here to help! Oh, and good luck with the bumblefoot!

5. MeTxLady

MeTxLady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    Thank you! Yes, I have Melalueca, Frank and the coconut oil. I'm anxious to see if it works. I will also check out your article.

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    You are welcome, I am glad to help anytime! I hope it works well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by