Baby chicks and grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flyboy718, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    When do you start to offer chicks grit? Mine are 3 days old. Also, when can you offer them tidbits of leftover food, such as brocolli...etc?

2. G3iMacMan

G3iMacMan New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    I can't remember now, but I think the bag of Chick Grit said at like week 2 to offer it in small amounts and make sure they don't over eat it.

3. kerroppi76

kerroppi76 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    When I asked htis question I was told if your babies are only getting starter and no other food then they do not need grit. If you wanna give them treats then start the grit and treats no earlier than 2 weeks.

4. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    You can give them things like yoghurt and cooked eggs without grit when they are really little but if you want them to grow well, starter feed is a complete feed which is balanced for them. They do fine without treats when little.

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours were a couple of weeks old when we put a dish of dirt from the yard in the coop, but keep in mind that broodies will probably have their chicks out on dirt on day 2 or 3 and the chicks would be pecking at the dirt w/ mom.

6. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:So I can use dirt instead of the grit you buy at the store! That's awsome!

7. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    If you let them hang out in the yard for a little bit with supervision then they eat dirt/sand which is pretty much grit.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So I can use dirt instead of the grit you buy at the store! That's awsome!

Just make sure the area where you get it hasn't been sprayed with any chemical. I got dirt from the garden for ours since dh had just tilled it and it was fluffy. I put it in a square pyrex dish and they promptly jumped in and scratched a big portion of it out but they had fun.

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Also make sure you haven't had Cocci in your flock or on the ground you put them on or else they can get sick.

Mine stay in the brooder until 5 weeks old, with only chick starter and water.

After that they go into the baby coop and get to come out into their yard on the dirt during the day, this is when I start offering treats.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by