1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chicks and Light!??? help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dom'sHEns, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hi all!, I just recieved my baby chick order from MyPetChicken, and all are alive and eating like litte piggies. (They even threw in a extra one!) Anywaz My question is!.....I have my brooder set up in a room with a large sky light where they have been getting natural sun light all day. Now that the sun is down do they still need a light to carry them throughout the rest of the night? They have a 250 watt heat lamp bulb that provides a glowing red light throughout the brooder. Is this enoughf for them? [​IMG]
    All comments will be appreciated! Thanks, Dom [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    My girls (from My Pet Chicken also) are already 7 weeks old and still insist on sleeping with their "night light" on. I have tried a few times to keep it off and they get sooooo loud until I turn it back on. Immediately, they calm down and go to sleep. [​IMG]

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I just recieved my chicks today as well and I have been just keeping the heat lamp on them. I am trying to keep the temp. around 93-95 degrees and really that is all I think they need. The extra light I believe is only when they are of laying age. They need that 14 hrs. of daylight to produce.
    Fellow BYC members, if I am wrong on any of this, please advise, thanks.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    yes thats the only light they need, I keep mine in a spare bedroom with just the brooder light on 24/7. good luck what chicks did you buy?

5. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    The heat lamp is enough.

6. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thanks all i just leave the brooder light on then. I ordered 2 golden comets, 2 black sex links, a barred rock, a EE and a buff brahma bantam. It lookes like the thre in a extra bsl though. They are soo darn cute! Ill try to post some pics tomorrow! Another thing!...the themometer that i have in the brooder is rejestering between 105 and 110 degrees...However i believe it must be broken because all the chicks seem very content..and are exploring the entire brooder...and then even come back directly under the light to sleep....is it ok to go with my gut on this one.? I from what i see everything looks fine. they arent huddling under the lamp as if they were too cold, nor are they on the edges of the brooder as if they were too hot. what do ya'll think? [​IMG]

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Please just be careful with a 250w heat lamp bulb. Depending on what size space you have them in, and what type of ventilation (closed box, open pen etc..) you can cook them and set the box on fire. I know.[​IMG]

8. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Can you put in a 100 watt bulb? That is what I use and I still have to adjust the positioning of it or it will go over 100.

I am thinking of going with a lower wattage bulb the end of the week to gradually lower the temp.

jackie

9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

jackiedon, I use 100w for a couple of weeks and then switch to a 50w. The chicks are always content with it. I use the thick floodlight bulbs because they are so hard to break (I have a 2 year old)!

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Even when I have a full 25 chicks, I always start with a 100. 250 is excessive for most cases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by