baby chicks and mice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moodusnewchick, Aug 26, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I will be raising a large number of chicks thanks to PurpleChicken and Perfectly_Polish [​IMG]. After raisng chicks since April I'm really not into having babies in the house again. I have a shed that I think I can fit the babies in until they feather enough for outside with the lamp. I have mice droppings in the shed. Do I need to worry about mice hurting/giving diseases to babies?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I don't think mice would harm chicks, especially after a couple weeks, but they probably would eat alot of chick crumbles. Maybe you could make a mouse proof brooder.

3. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    good point. i didn't even think of that and i spend so much time mice proofing everything around here!! and now here i am planning to have warm bodies and plentiful spilled food right where the mice likely live! it's purplechicken's fault that i am crazy.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    humm I think I would worry about the mice urine... I was told mice carry lots of funky diseases in their urine.

5. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    Are they field mice or rats? [​IMG]

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Someone posted once about their chickens getting salmonella from actually eating the mouse poop....I think we can only be as clean as we can be with our pens. I know little gray mice visit my pen, I see the tunnels where they sneak through the foot of chicken wire on the ground around my pen..have tried the confectioner's sugar and plaster of paris mouse entree but mine have more disserning tastes apparently as they ignored it. I found a mouse tail in my pen once too so my chickens must have caught and eaten at least one of them and the other day I nearly had a stroke when one came from god only knows where and ran across the nesting box..OVER my hand and through the chicken wire onthe other side..very small but freaked me out...if you find a way to kill them without endangering our chickens or outside dogs, please share butin the meantime, I guess the salmonella would be the most important disease to read up on. Good luck

7. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:But it's mostly my fault [​IMG] I'm starting to think I'm crazier then PC [​IMG] [​IMG]

We are putting our half of the chicks right outside with heat lamps, no way are we having 50-100 chicks in the house [​IMG] We haven't really had a big problem with mice because of the cats. But before the chicks come maybe you can spray something where they will be to keep the mice away, or set traps. Or we can all come over and build you a new pen [​IMG]

8. tressiah

tressiah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    Beecher, Il
    Hello !
    We are surrounded by corn oileds and soybeans, so mice in the barn are no big deal. However if you fell you need to get rid of them, try the glue pads. Work well, and you don't have to touch them. My (indoor) cat will catch the little mice in the house, and then brings them to me, like a gift. Yuk! I do have rat bait in the barn stalls that are locked up where the chickens can't get in, and I had a bad time with them eating the mash for the hens. I now have the rubbermaid tubs with tight fitting lids, and NOTHING gets in, not even the goats !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by