Baby chicks and salmonella- question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ELRclover, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ELRclover

ELRclover New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Hi Everyone!

New to the boards and New to the world of raising chickens. We got our first chickens yesterday. We got 8 rhode island reds (They said they were all females we will see) and 1 that they said was a rooser (again I guess we will see right?)

Anyway... everyone keeps telling me that my daughter is going to get salmonella.

She is 4. She just wants to love the chicks, so I told her she is allowed to hold them 3 times a day. She washes her hands before and after...

Is anyone worried about this... I'm wasn't...but now I am getting parnoid by everyone giving me "a lecture"... (We live out on 9 acres, so finally decided to start getting farm animals)

I mean if it's not safe at all for her to handle them, then we will have to stop...but I've known families with children smaller than her, and they never talked about being worried about it. (We have a dove at home who she plays with all the time, so she knows how to handle small animals)

If you have small children, what do you do? Thanks!

Erica

Thanks for all the replies so far. She's used to cracking eggs and coming in contact with the shells...she's even eaten raw eggs in things before (like ice cream). I've never been worried with that because we get them from an organic farm up the road... I'm glad to have found this site...and for all the great imputs... (Prepares me for telling my mom when they come on easter sunday haha)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    I have 10 baby chicks I got a week ago. I didnt worry about that with my two boys..they are 7 and 8. But then I said something about holding the chicks and I got the same lecture it seems. I just brush it off. My kids enjoy holding them and their chicks are the friendliest ones. I just make sure my boys wash their hands. If they get it I'll deal with it then. I dont want to deprive my children of the joy they get just because someone else is scared. I'm not scared. My boys have healthy immune systems and they are washing when they are done. I"m intrested on others opinions as well.

3. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    My grandfather raised exotic chickens and birds when I was a kid. We handled the chicks all the time. Never washed our hands.
    I lived to tell about it. . .
    Also licked the batter of all the cake and cookie mixing bowls with raw egg in them. . . horrors
    It is far more detrimental to kids to *not* expose them to germs and bacteria. . .one of the reasons so many kids have asthma and allergies now is their immune systems haven't been allowed to develop
    My soap box. . .

4. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Everyone is so paranoid about EVERYTHING these days. [​IMG] Washing hands is the best method of preventing illness. If we worry so much about exposure, we won't build any antibodies to anything and then we will catch everything. Enjoy your chicks. Enjoy your farm life. [​IMG] Let the "city people" worry... [​IMG]

5. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    My kids have never gotten it.. We ha ve had chicks for 2 years now and they can't keep thier hand off of them.. Just wash wash, and I keep hand sanitizer around for a few squirts here and there anyway.. No telling what they have on thier hands, lol

6. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    I agree....my 2 boys hold our chicks. I just make sure they wash their hands afterwards. I think that's just common sense. But we all know kids. I'm sure mine have picked them up once or twice and forgottten to wash their hands. And they are still OK.

7. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Same here.... we had chicks last year and this...and our schools raise chicks in teh classrooms every year too...just make sure you have them wash their hands after they handle the chicks, and there shouldn't be a problem!

Seems like common sense....whenever I clean the litter box, or am in the barn doing chores, or do anything with the animals, I do wash my hands afterwards....just good practice.

Angie

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Both your daughter and the people warning you about salmonella have almost certainly already been exposed to it. A few minutes on a google search and you will see how widepspread it is. Chickens can be a source, but so can many other foods we eat. And, yes, people occasionally die from it, but ordinarily they are people who are already severely compromised.

I tell my grandkids not to kiss the chicks and not to touch eyes, nose, mouth til they wash their hands. Putting chicks near the face is a good way to get an eye pecked, anyhow.

Perhaps a little research, then ask these people whether they ever cut a cantaloupe, touch a raw tomato or jalapeno, etc.... Or just tell them that the kids are taught good handwashing. Many adults evidently were not!

Here's a source:

http://www.salmonella.org/faq.html

9. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    How did humanity ever survive the agricultural era? That water pump must have been an awfully busy place! Let them handle the chicks, and teach them to wash before and after. You're teaching them responsibility, and they'll think they are just having fun!

10. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I think I am more scared of getting salmonella at mcdonalds than my house ;}

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by