1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chicks and sand?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wheels, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Wheels

Wheels Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    I am expecting 28 babies tomorrow. Is it ok to use sand in their brooder?

2. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    That's what I have in my brooders right now. BUT for the first week or two I think your supposed to cover the flooring with paper towels so they don't confuse it as food. I hope one of the more knowledgeable people will chime in on that. Also when they are old enough to get treats it will double as grit for them.
    ETA: Congrats!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

I concur with the other respondent, put paper towels down for the first couple weeks. Chicks just don't distinguish food. I made the mistake of putting some on wood shavings too early, lost one. Wood shavings also stink very soon so I stopped using shavings. I then tried wood pellets but as these get wet they look exactly like chick crumbles. Plan C--Went to PetCo/Petsmart for small animal bedding pellets made from recycled newspapers and odor control. Also picked up some bedding with mint smell. Much better success!!!

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I love sand for my brooders! This is only by second batch of chicks but I find it very easy to keep clean-use a kitty litter scoop to clean out the brooders every day. And they love to dust themselves in it. I have a bunch of different ages out in the brooders right now. For the 1st batch I dutifully covered the sand w/ paper towels for the 1st half a week or so. But then I started going to the feed store as they got different breeds in and would buy a couple at a time over a couple of weeks. I did start a 2nd brooder for the youngest ones. But the new chicks would go into the brooder w/ no paper towel covering at all and they seemed fine. Interestingly, no pasty butt at all.

5. Delphinium

Delphinium Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Northern AZ
    What kind of sand do you use? I noticed today that my chicks were trying to give themselves a dust bath in the small dish of grit I put out for them.... they would probably love some sand.

6. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Quote:I went to home depot and got the quick crete (sp?) play ground sand. I believe whatever you get it has to be chem free.

7. Wheels

Wheels Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    Thanks for your quick responses. I can now make a inform decision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by