1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chicks and snacks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by faith2221, Feb 15, 2013.

1. faith2221

faith2221 New Egg

Jan 25, 2013
    Ok I just got 7 baby chicks from tractor supply and they are just a week old. When can I start giving them scraps of fruit and veggies? Are they old enough to peck at an apple core? They a currently just on chick starter.

Thanks!
    monica

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I give my chicks protein, hand feed sips of yolk and water, toss in a bit of cooked hamberger, and any sandwich meats, or hard boiled egg cooled. makes a strong chick.

3. faith2221

faith2221 New Egg

Jan 25, 2013
    I heard that feeding chicks meat makes them aggressive. Can they eat fruits right now?

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    well I heard feeding DOGS meat can make'm aggressive too, the way I figure the chickens eat bugs n'stuff that is meat too. I don't feed'm that all the time they need it for growth when they are young and when they get older... that is why they call it a snack. I have not heard of any vegan chickens. If you toss them a meat scrap the will not turn up their nose.

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    potato peals are not good for chickens though.

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    my chicks always like apple sauce, and they like yogurt.

7. gunshyvw

gunshyvw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Plymouth, Indiana
    vegan chickens...

I have this image of chickens doing yoga when I think about this for some reason.

I have read (I have no personal experience yet) that chicks should be a week old before any snacks, but maybe that's not right...

8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    40 years here, but hey my kids don't listen to me either.

9. TerryLP

TerryLP New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    I also am interested in the answer to this question. My chicks are just about a week old. We eat a fare amount of fruit in our family and wind up with apple cores and banana peels every day. I would love to be able to give some these to them, but I do not want to do that too soon.

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I think when a momma raises a chick she feeds it everything in the environment. I would not worry about it, but you all must be a bunch of fruit-aholics, LOL!

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by