Baby chicks and the workday

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by live2laugh13, Aug 25, 2014.

1. live2laugh13

live2laugh13 New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    I don't have chicks yet but am considering getting three soon! Are chicks ok to be left alone during the work day? I am gone for 9+ hours most days of the week. Will very young chicks be ok by themselves for that long?

2. AZChiknGoddess

AZChiknGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    Yes they will be fine. The biggest problem would be if their water got shavings in it. I would nipple train them right away.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I've always worked and my chicks have done just fine. I brood in my barn, in a large galvanized livestock trough. Heat lamp on one end, about the level of the top of the trough, food and water at the other end. Always elevate your feed and especially the water on bricks or 2x4s or something or they'll fill it with bedding. I use short pieces of 2x4 stacked side by side so the chicks can hop up on the boards to drink. As they grow, I just add more boards to raise the water higher.

I check on them morning and night, they do just fine during the day and at night. Really, they don't need much day to day care, as long as they have feed and water, and a large enough brooder to regulate their temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by