Baby chicks and vinegar

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazyhen, Sep 23, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I have seen post about putting vinegar in the drinking water of chickens and chicks. What age do you start it and do you use pasteurized on non-pasteurized apple cider vinegar?
    thanks Jean

2. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I was just wondering this about my chicks. I use it in my older pullets(6mon) water and was wondering when to start my baby chicks on it.

I'll be watching to see what others have to say. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I start them in the brooder if I'm having pasty butt problems. And it's the organic unpasteurized ACV with mother of vinegar/sediment in the bottom. A tsp to a quart waterer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

I start it with my day old chicks also, just regular old ACV in the water. Also add to waterers in the coop on occasion to keep algae to a minimum and give the big birds a boost.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    What does vinegar do?

6. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Provides Vit. C, which is a great immune system booster. It may have other properties of which I am unaware, but this is why I give it. I just use it as a preventive to infections. Always worked for my bunnies when they got pink eye...cleared it up in a couple of days.

Whenever I feel cold-like symptoms, I power up on the OJ and it noticeably helps fight it off...so, who knows?

7. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I put it in my chicks water when they are about 2 weeks old. When It's time for them to come off their vitamins and electrolytes. I put it in their water everyday, I knew a lady in my church would drink a cup of warm water with APV, and honey in it everyday, she even smoked lived into her late 70's 'lil' bitty woman she was real sweet. I figured good for us everyday should be good for my chooks everyday , well once a week I put DE in their water in precaution of worms.

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Thanks everyone!
    I am just going to start new babies in Oct. and am trying to learn all I can ahead of time.
    Another question. I am going to have to start my babies inside during the nights because it is going into the 40's here then. But the question is can I set them out on my screened porch during the days which are in the 70's and 8os if I keep the light on them? I know probably not the 1'st week but when? Thanks Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by