1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chicks and yogurt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lisa202, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    My baby bantams are 7 days old and I have been giving them yogurt for 3 days now and they love it. I give them a little bowl once a day. Am I giving them too much? Is the calcium in yogurt bad for them?

Thanks

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am not sure about chicks and the affects of calcium in yogurt, but I would offer it about once a week and change between that and another treat. Mine LOVED rolled oats occasionally, and once they were a few weeks I offered canned tuna. I also got them chick grit (more crushed up grit) from the feed store so nobody got an impacted crop. My girls now LOVE mashed potatos. And they are big meat eaters lol.

3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I am just about (this week) to get my first ever baby chicks, and I was under the impression you absolutely could not give them anything besides the baby chick food for 5 weeks or so????? I'm guessing by your posts that isn't ness. so, what can they eat and how early?

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Well it all matters on personal opinion of course. I personally offered my girls treats as young as a week old, rolled oats and scrambled eggs to name a few. They also has "chick grit" which is grit to help grind down and works as teeth for the chick/en. Some people do wait until 5-8 weeks old to offer treats and that is a fine way to go too [​IMG] Pick your own little path, that's why I enjoy this so much. I take bits and pieces of advice from people and make my own remedy. Whatever you choose is good! (Unless feeding them straight chocolate for life or something LOL)

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    If it makes things easier. What would a mother hen do with her chicks? She doesn' t carry chick starter with her. They eat bugs, grass, sand....... just about anything. Sure the chick starter is good for the chicks so go ahead and give it to them . Everything else is a bonus. You are Momma chick!

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:I love my pets, but give them my chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by