baby chicks are here!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caral07, Jul 19, 2010.

1. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    I'm so excited my first ever batch of eggs to incabate and one hatched today!(It is a splash silkie )The only problem is the others aren't hatching. They are fertile and when I candled them the egg was totally black except for the air pocket in the air.Anyone have some advice.(going on the 22 day)

2. lwarctic

lwarctic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2010
    Idaho-Boise area
    Congrats on your new chick. Don't give up on the others, sometimes it will take a while before the others decide to come into the world. The new chick will help them come along quicker with it running around in there chirping up a storm. Good luck.

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't give up till day 25-ish. Hope you get at least one more so your baby won't be lonely.

Go chickies! [​IMG]

4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Flock Master

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    i agree with the others, dont give up yet and if nothing happens within a few more days then i might start to get a little worried but sometimes it just takes some time so hopefully everything works out alright and you get some more baby chickies, the little chick that did hatch though will hopefully encourage the others to hurry up and hatch already. congrats on your new little chicky and good luck! [​IMG]

5. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Yep I gave up on day 23. Put them in the compost bucket and the next morning I heard chirping. They had started to hatch. Soooo I quickly put them back in the bator and all but one made it. It really surprised me because it was in the middle of winter and we only run a wood stove to heat the house and in the morning it gets down to 60 degrees or so. I had 3 white silkies make it. One died a couple after she started laying. That was a big disappointment. I still have two females and got a free roo from craigslist. Well not quite a roo yet.

I would wait 25 days.

6. caral07

caral07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    Thanks for all your help.I think I will wait till the 25 day to take the rest of the eggs out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by