Baby chicks are on the roost with mama.

mamabigbird

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Vancouver Island, B.C.,
Matilda hatched her two babies on May 24th in her broody pen (attached to main pen for visual assimilation)
About a week ago I started opening the gap between the two pens and let them start mingling, yet every night mama took her chookies back to the broody pen/hut.
Today I moved her hut into the big pen and closed them out of the broody pen. I really thought that mama would take them back to their familiar hut in the big pen.
When I went in to count chickens and lock up for the night I saw mama up on the top roost in the coop.
AAAAAGH!!! Where are your babies? I could hear faint plaintive peep-peeping. (THE BABIES) Where are the babies?
OMG!!! I tore the coop apart. I looked behind every thing. OH GOD! Maybe they're under the coop. There is a spot where the hens scratch that a little chikie could squeeze under ( thinking mama had abandoned them, and in fear they had squeezed into a gap under the coop) AAAAAGH!!!! I can never get them out from there. THEY ARE DOOMED !!!
WAIT... the sound seems to be inside the coop!
Back into the coop ... only to see mama on the upper roost with both her wings extended to show me ,,, one chick under each wing. GOD BLESS CHICKENS. They are amazing.

Mine did this and I almost fell over laughing when I saw it...they started doing it at about 2 weeks old and of course were on the very top perch which is about 7 feet off the ground!

What a good mama! How sweet
love.gif

I just can't seem to relax and trust that they really do know what they're doing.LOL
My chickens must shake their heads and think "STUPID HUMANS".
Oh well, I love them even when they freak me out.

Back
Top Bottom