1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BABY CHICKS are sick, PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenWisperer, Oct 24, 2008.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I may be over-reacting, but to my eyes it looks as if one of my new little EEs is dying.

They came in at around 6am yesterday. They all looked great, except for one EE and my faverolle, who were cold. After everyone warmed up, they ran around like crazy and acted very normal. They were given water (1 quart mixed with 3 tablespoons of sugar) and regular chick-starter. We covered their pine litter with paper towels, as well. ( even though they are still trying their hardest to uncover it and pick at it [​IMG])

But this morning, I went down to check on them, and all of them seemed fine except for one little EE. She was just standing there - and appeared to be "unjelating". I think she is breathing very hard - but she wont walk away from the heatlamp, so that made me think she wasnt hot.

She was eating and drinking fine yesterday, and will only pic at food lying on the floor now. She will just stand there for the longest time. I looked at her all over, and she doesnt have a pasty bottom. But, however, on her tummy there seems to be a tiny bit of dried yolk. But shes not deformed, and she is pooping (that looks very normal).

What is wrong?! Has she eaten some litter? What can i do to help?

EDIT: It has gotten no better, but no worse either. I have noticed that she also doesnt seem to have the same kind of balance that the other chicks have. She will sleep, and when she does she doesnt seem to be "unjelating".

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Many people put litter down first thing on their chicks, I have not had any luck with that. Personally I use newspaper and paper towels for a while. I would remove her, a smaller box(if she acts lonely peeping, put another one in with her) are her feet cold? humped up?
    Do you have electrolytes on hand? How about an antibiotic?
    That is the direction I'd go (not knowing a heck of a lot here) until I heard something from those that know better. I'm thinking it could be the beginnings of cocci and the chicks seem to take a long time and direct heat to warm up (Not to direct!).
    Good luck !!!!

3. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Yeah. Today, we took all the litter out, and put newspaper and then paper towels down. Im not sure; I'll sure pm you if her feet are cold. Just a question, what do you meen by humped up?

Yep, I do. I just cleaned their water bowl and put the Electrolite / Vitamin formula in their water. I dont have any antibiotics on hand.

Thanks so much for the help. ^_^

4. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Update:

Now, my Brahma has some butt problems. Poop is actually getting suck on her rear.....but she doesnt have "pasty butt"! It keeps accumulating, but otherwise she is acting fine. I will come back awhile after i clean her bum, and its just like before.

Any suggestions on what to do?

5. beautifulbirds

beautifulbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

FRESH WHEATGRASS JUICE given orally (straight down their throat) may help. Wheatgrass juice is not a medicine but a food and a disenfectant, it is natural - so completely harmless - will help and not hurt. I have saved my chooks and a wee chick. It's so good that I now give maintenance doses weekly to anyone with a mucky bum or purplish comb or anyone standing around looking sluggish and 'off'. One shot will last three days if kept in the fridge; give three squirts straight down their throat for three days and repeat if necessary. Need anymore info please email me, hope this helps.

6. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Thank you so much for the help. [​IMG]

Wow, it sounds like this stuff is the Real deal.....

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Anything grass is tempting to birds. I wonder if you could go out and get some lawn green grass, put it in the blender if it could jump start them. I know once mine had a chance to nibble it encouraged them- great protein and Vite's in any grass. Do not give a lot to them at first, you do not need impacted crops.

When I used the word "humped" up, its like a camel hump, rounded, or a bird is "humped up" when they are cold, ill or letting water run off their backs.

How are your darlings doing at this point? - oh and wheat seeds can be gotten at the organics food store, it is food quality and when you plant it in a plant pot/window box inside, after it sprouts, let it grow and put it down for your cats, then take a few clippings 1 inch long out to your chickens, they will be sooooo grateful! Use it only as a treat as they can become impacted.

Good luck, I'm thinking of you !
    Kel

8. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Oh, I know. I get mauled for grass everytime I go into the the run with my adults and older juveniles!

Kk, Ill try that and see if it helps. The other person who replied on this thread suggested wheatgrass juice. Im still looking for some of that.

Oh, I see what you mean now! Duh! [​IMG] Anyhow, Nope. No behavior like that.

Well, right now everyone is great, except for my brahma. I dont know who im more concerned with - the 'ungelating' EE, or the constipated brahma. [​IMG] But everyone is eating and drinking great. Everyone is feathering out nicely, too.

Really? Thanks for telling me, Ive gotta find some of that. Kk. More to add to my notes! [​IMG]

Thank you so much!
    Adrian

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I haven't read through all the posts just skimmed them and got to the part of the pasty butt. You have added WAY to much sugar to the chicks water. Don't panic! Just empty the waterer, clean it out with a vingegar/water mixture (1/4 cup vinegar to 2 cups hot water - rinse well), and just refill it with plain old water. That should help to clear up the pasty butt. Sugar will actually cause the pasty butt. It is good for the first 24 hrs. at a ratio of 1 to 2 tsp. per gallon of water, to help the chicks have energy to eat and drink. They don't need it at this point. Make sure you clean the pasty poo off of the chicks bottoms or they won't be able to poo and will die. Hope all goes well and be sure to keep us updated. [​IMG]

10. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Already done [​IMG]. Thanks for your post, though! Advice is always comforting.

Im checking her every 1-2 hours, and cleaning her every time I check. Do you think this is often enough?

Thanks so much! ^_^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by