Baby Chicks Are Sick

babychicks15

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
Central California
Hi everyone, I am a worried grandma. My daughter is out of town and I am in charge of her new 3 week old chicks which she purchased to start her chick farm. We lost two small ones a couple days ago. Now one of the biggest strongest ones is sick too. The symptoms are (including the two we lost) head drooping, wings drooping a little, lethargic and they act like their legs hurt. They have trouble getting around. They walk a little way then lay down. This last one is still eating and drinking. It breaks my heart and my daughter is very attached to them as she has medical problems herself. Please help me with advice. I do not want her coming home to no chicks. Breaking my heart.

Thank you so much for replying. They have a heat lamp which is at 95 right below it and at 80 to 85 on the outer edges of the brooder which is 4 x 6 feet. I have been watching them closely and they seem to stay where it is about 80 degrees. Is that right for their age?

You can post in full detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. Generally overheated birds pant and hold they wings away from their body to cool down.

I wouldn't think the 80 degree end would be too hot for them. If it was they would be laying far apart. Maybe the thermometers are not well calibrated.

Do you have a wire top on the brooder - they need to have air circulate. Also what is the temperature in the room itself, where the brooder is?

I am wondering since it is about 85-90 outside here in california if I can't just turn of the heat lamp completely. Would they get to cold then? So worried about them.

Back
Top Bottom