baby chicks are so tiny

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brookwoodpat, Jun 4, 2008.

1. brookwoodpat

brookwoodpat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    The black star and americana chicks I got today are so minute. They must really be just a day old. Conversely the buff orp chick looks like a bruiser in comparison. It's only been 5 -6 weeks since I picked up my RIR and Red Star and I don't think either of those were as small as these. These new babies are totally terrified of everything too. But they are eating and drinking well, and running around pretty well and while I've cleaned up some poopy butts, I'm hoping they do well. They are all spaced out in the brooder box, not hunched up in a heap at all.

Meanwhile it is pouring outside and my seven RIR are on the screen porch in their old brooder rather than out in their coop (I still haven't left them in the coop all night yet, but this weekend for sure!) I heard some animals -- cat or raccoon -- screaming and fighting in the dark and between the rain and that fight, I "chickened" out and brought my big girls in for the night. The 3 Red stars, who are really big girls by now, are in a cardboard box stuffed with shavings with the top loosely folded to keep them in. The red stars are so much bigger and stockier than the RIR, though I think they are just a week apart. I think the Red Stars (who are very very pretty) are always going to be bigger. They are like the Buff Orp chick -- bruisers [​IMG]

Pat - lost in admiration of her chickens [​IMG]

2. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    So cute aren't they!

And they grow so fast.

My little Americauna chick is just 3 weeks old and I can't believe she was ever small enough to fit in an eggs. She grows hourly!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I thought that too but NOW my Red Sex link and my ameraucana tower over all of them! They are HUGE now lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by