Baby Chicks Arrived!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chyatt24, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Chyatt24

Chyatt24 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    So, my baby chicks arrived a day early, which was nice. I would've made this post sooner, but we were having trouble with the chicks, so I had started another thread about that. Anyway, we have one silver laced wyandotte named Penny, one light brahma named Ronnie, and one buff orpington who doesn't have a name yet, although we might call her Buffy :)
    When we put the chicks in their large plastic bin, Ronnie attacked Penny, so we had to put Ronnie in a separate box, still inside the bin, so that she could be warm, although her box is placed in between the warm and cool side so she can have both. Other than that, the chicks seem to be doing fine, all eating and drinking. Penny is especially loud, with a shrill chirp, which worried me a little at first, but she seems fine now and she and Buffy seem to be pretty bonded. They pecked at each other once or twice, but I think they're fine.
    Since it's summertime, at what age can I bring the chicks outside to play for a little bit? Also, if anyone has any advice on how to deal with Ronnie being so aggressive, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Yay for the safe and early arrive of you babies!!

As long as they are safely protected, they can go outside at 2 weeks and up. They can move outside permanently at about 8-12 weeks.

As far as Ronnie, separate her but so that she can see the other chicks. This will upset her and make her want to join them. Hopefully, it'll snap her out of her meanness.

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Oh my I wouldn't separate them at all! I think it is a little early for them to be starting the pecking order! They need to stay together to stay warm!

4. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    I had to separate them because it was clear that Ronnie wouldn't stop pecking at Penny, and she was even starting to drag her. She's very warm though, and it helps that she's the biggest of the chicks.

5. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    Quick update: Penny and Buffy have become very bonded, which makes me feel bad for Ronnie, but she seems pretty happy, and she's also the easiest to pick up and hold. Today she was sleeping a lot, even when I was holding her, she fell asleep right in my hands.
    What do you guys do to get your chicks more friendly with humans? Penny and Buffy run away and chirp when I try to pick them up, but once I'm holding them they're better. Ronnie is pretty easy to pick up, and she seems very calm with people, which is strange considering how aggressive she was with Penny.

6. Streetview

Streetview Chillin' With My Peeps

Just keep on picking them up and petting them, Ours were just about fully feathered when that finally paid off for us. You can certainly tell the difference between them and the other 2 we got at 8 weeks that were not hand raised.

7. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    Okay, thank you!

8. Streetview

Streetview Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure others, wiser than I and more experienced may have tricks too, just saying from my experience :) Have fun!

9. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    Unfortunately, we lost little Ronnie :( We suspect something was wrong with her from the beginning

10. jgfetter

jgfetter Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    Galena Ohio
    So sorry :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by