Baby Chicks Behavior...Are they supposed to act like this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MrsChickenWhisperer, Feb 17, 2009.

1. MrsChickenWhisperer

MrsChickenWhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Nokomis, FL
    So I got my shipment from McMurrays yesterday morning....one was dead and this morning we lost another of the same breed. The rest seem OK, but when they are not stimulated, they sort of slow down under the light and pass out. It's kinda cute and kinda scary at the same time. Are they supposed to do that? They just stop in their tracks and sort of fall asleep standing up till they sort of fall over. If startled (or stepped on by another chick), they pop right up, run around and pass out somewhere else. This is my first batch, so I don't really know what to expect...[​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    [​IMG] sounds normal to me, first batch of chicks i got did it too and it scared the crud out of me, ya get used to it after a few batches [​IMG]

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Totally normal. Ever been in a tanning bed?...man the heat feels good - same with chicks. It will definitely scare you when you're a first timer/newbie for sure! Hey, I used to live rt next to you in Bradenton - small world. [​IMG]

4. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    haha arn't they cute? Don't be concerned, my human kids do this on occassion LOL it's just a baby thing, they're all go or dead stop, no inbetween really :p

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope they sound defective to me - send them to me & get yourself some new ones. [​IMG]

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    [​IMG] Send them to me 2!

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MrsChickenWhisperer

MrsChickenWhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Nokomis, FL
    Thanks for the reassurance!

Does it matter that 2 of the same breed died? Should I watch the others of the same breed more carefully? They are Buff Laced Polish...

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Just make sure the other BLP get to eating and drinking well. I can remember when I would see them splayed out on the floor...scares ya. They sound comfy. I'm sure they are precious.

10. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

That happened to me. Is it too hot in there? Is there air circulation?
    When I backed the heat lamp away a little bit, they perked up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by