Baby chicks bullying the other little chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by krazychick28, Jun 7, 2011.

1. krazychick28

krazychick28 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    So I found out this morning that my 2 biggest baby chicks, who were the first to hatch have brutally pecked one of my chicks to death. Than when separating them, 2 eggs we thought were hatching were covered in blood and we found out those babies that were trying to hatch were pecked to death in the egg. I have 2 very aggressive babies! Is this normal? What should I do to protect my other eggs? Should I separate the newly hatched chicks from the eggs? Has anyone ever had this happen?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That's awful! Yes seperate those aggressive little boogers right away.

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    They are all in the hatcher together? How old are the bullies? Take them out and put them in the brooder ASAP. As soon as they are active I scoop them out of the bator to give the hatching chicks an easier time.

4. krazychick28

krazychick28 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Right now I have all the eggs under a heating lamp in a cage. And as the chicks were hatching we just left them in there with the other eggs, because they werent hurting anyone. The bigger chicks are a a few days older at most a week older than the chick they killed. And the chicks that were killed in the eggs, I dont even think they were ready to be born. I think they just went haywire and started busting open shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by