Baby chicks bum

Sae

Songster
Jan 7, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I have one chick that is smaller and slower than the rest. They are 4 days old. This one has something going on with her bum. What is it? I saw Her mother peck at it.
Screenshot_20210616-200024.jpg
Screenshot_20210616-195955.jpg
Screenshot_20210616-200051.jpg
What do i do to help her?

Pasty butt ... Clean with warm water & cloth/paper towel. Check the cleaned butt for any abnormality. It could be temperature related or just it's digestive system regulating itself. You can put some ACV (with the mother/unfiltered, 1tsp) in their water (gallon) but the waterer can't be metal, ACV will chemically react. They all can drink it, won't hurt. But cleaning it's butt is a must, you could clip the down around it so the poop won't have much to cling too.

I have one chick that is smaller and slower than the rest. They are 4 days old. This one has something going on with her bum. What is it? I saw Her mother peck at it.View attachment 2721689View attachment 2721690View attachment 2721688 What do i do to help her?
Looks like pasty butt. That needs to be cleaned. A build up of poop on the backside can result in a chick's death if left un treated.

Warm water, plus paper towel for gentle cleaning will be needed.

Or you can take a container of warm water, & soak the chick's butt in it, to soften it up, to remove the poop. Afterwards, the chick would need to be dried off.

Back
Top Bottom