Baby chicks butt

Annaafranqueza

Songster
Jun 30, 2019
Excuse the mealworm crumbs on my hand/ her feathers.

She had diahrrea when I brought her home with the other 9 chicks. Ive watched for pasty butt which she had a little of but i soaked it off. No blood so dont think i need corid. Her butt area stays kinda bald, and it looks like her butt vent is protruding out. None of the other chicka butt show pink(shes a silkie). Shes also eating,drinking and acting normal. Its been 4-5 days like this. Could her butt just be irritated from past butt? They are about a week old
21E2F144-8C3A-4D83-9FEB-2DC38D4D0E6A.jpeg

It looks like she has a slightly protruding vent, which is a left over from the receding egg yolk into abdominal cavity. Protruding vents almost always resolve on their own.

Pinkness varies. I'm not seeing an angry, inflamed red, at least not on my monitor.

So I say all is well.

LofMc
I came out this morning and this happened onernight! I also just noticed shes smaller then the other chicks(all born same day) its bleeding because she wont leave it alone!
E6E971F7-01F5-4C93-8AC8-A8635F0E157D.jpeg

Treat this like pasty butt. warm( not hot) soak or saturate a clean wash rag with warm water and hold it to her bottom to soften and loosen debris, rinse, repeat. Try to get her cleaned up then keep the vent moist with neosporin. You can use a hair dryer on low to dry her fluff so she doesn’t chill. She should be separated so she’s not picked on. what heat source do you use?

can you paste down the down around the vent to keep it clear from collecting poo?

Agree. Treat like pasty butt cleaning with warm, soapy (Dawn) water. Let dry. Can dry with hair dryer on low to help if chick is cold.

And also to isolate chick. The other chicks are pecking on the protruding vent causing the bleeding.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom