Baby chicks butts!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GibsonChicks4U, Feb 21, 2014.

1. GibsonChicks4U

GibsonChicks4U Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    Are they suppose to be hard or crusty but no crust or poo on them?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

No they have little vents just like grown chickens. Should be no crusty or hard parts.

You can soak their little bottoms by running a little bit of warm tap water alongside their behinds and it should soften pasty butt so you can get it off if that is the problem.

3. GibsonChicks4U

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    Well I did notice poo on it however I rechecked and no poop is there but my bird is laying down a lot, is doesn't stand except to eat and even then it kinda scoots and in having to give it water with a syringe. It will be like asleep and then wake up and eat a couple crumbs and then repeat any thoughts?

4. GibsonChicks4U

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    [​IMG]

This is where it's laying and not standing up to eat any thoughts

5. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

first, you need a chicken waterer not a bowl for a chick. It could very easily drown in that bowl. Then get some sav a chick and mix it up and dip its beak in it to see if it drinks. It is not a good sign that it is laying down so much

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a heat lamp for it? A chilled chick will slowly become more and more lethargic and soon die.

7. GibsonChicks4U

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    Yes I have heat lamps and it will eat and drink bug will not stand to do so

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you should make a new post under the emergencies/ diseases section because there is definitely something wrong with this chick

9. GibsonChicks4U

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    I did and tried to upload photo but wouldn't let me , I just hope I can find something out. I keep expecting it to die. I think the reason it hasn't yet is because I've been manually feed in it and giving it water

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

What kind of temps are you getting in the brooder under the heat lamp? Is there enough room to move away from the heat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by