1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chicks came this morning!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Remudamom, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

This was the second shipment, last weeks all died. One of the silkies in this shipment didn't make it but the rest were fine.

15 packing peanuts are already re-homed.

I went up to the chicken house and brought down Little Mama. She is in the container with them, eating and drinking and clucking just a little bit. When she lies down they don't try to get up under her, but she seems interested. I'll just watch them and see what happens. She was not broody.

I have a picture of them, I'll try to load it but this computer is new and I haven't gotten it all figured out yet.

2. Remudamom

[​IMG]

3. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

So sweet! Thanks for the photo.

4. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    mine too!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. Remudamom

Oh wow, that pad thing you have under your chicks is brilliant. I'm using paper towels. They sure are cute! What breed/s?

6. Remudamom

Well, I took Little Mama out. She takes up too much room and poops too much.

7. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks! We keep puppy pads around to catch leakage from our bunny cage and I figured it would do well in soaking up moisture.

I know the dark ones and probably the lightest one are ameraucana/ee, I haven't a clue what the packing peanuts are. This are my first chickens an I just don't know what I'm looking for to figure it out. I figured i'd wait til they were a bit more feathered to try.

8. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    I am so glad that it worked out well this time. My babies are supposed to arrive 2/20 and I love looking at everyone's pics until then.

9. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    I got some babies from craigs list today and 12 eggs and 2 hens ohh Im excited [​IMG][​IMG]

10. BirdWalkFarm

BirdWalkFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are my babies from the Jan 24th and 28th hatch . There are five pure Marans ( shipped eggs ) and the rest are from my eggs ( blue Marans / LF Cochin ) . This is their first time on wood chips and they are scared ! One of the light silver chicks has the greenest legs I have ever seen .

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by