BABY CHICKS @ CO-OP GRANGE ....CASHIER SAID ALL WERE FEMALE.....???

LittleRedCoop53

Songster
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
Southern Oregon
Yesterday at the co-op, i just had to pass by the baby chicks, they had WHITE CRESTED BLACK POLISH....soooooooo cute...and 25% off.... but i made it out with just the food i went in for. The cashier told me they were all female....??? do they vent sex them? wouldn't that be too costly? So i promptly came home and tried to look it up on the web and here at BYC.... so far it seems there is not... Does anyone out there know how they sex the chicks at the Co-op's ? I have seen signs saying straight runs on the bantams before. However, there was not a straight run sign on the polish chicks.... I'm thinking the cashier was just misinformed...?
old.gif

Yesterday at the co-op, i just had to pass by the baby chicks, they had WHITE CRESTED BLACK POLISH....soooooooo cute...and 25% off.... but i made it out with just the food i went in for. The cashier told me they were all female....??? do they vent sex them? wouldn't that be too costly? So i promptly came home and tried to look it up on the web and here at BYC.... so far it seems there is not... Does anyone out there know how they sex the chicks at the Co-op's ? I have seen signs saying straight runs on the bantams before. However, there was not a straight run sign on the polish chicks.... I'm thinking the cashier was just misinformed...?
old.gif
Gosh, I miss Grange Co-Op. You don't know how luck you are to live near that local chain.
The chicks would have been sexed at the hatchery they got them from, by vent sexing.
Bantams are tough to sex, being so small and very few hatcheries offer sexed bantams.

We agree, Bantams are tough to sex because of being so tiny. We do our best at Grange to know since they are sexed at the hatcheries.

Hey GrangeCoop, we used to love your company and dealt with you for many years. Have yet to find a store as complete as the ones you guys run. Wish you were down here in AZ.

Were they bantam or LF Polish? If bantam they are straight run. If LF it is possible they may be sexed - McMurray for example offers sexed LF Polish.

The polish chicks were not marked straight run... so that's why i asked the cashier...and she said they were female, but didn't know how they sexed them...plus it was very busy and i didn't want to hold up the line with questions. I've been told now that they do vent sex them (i was thinking it was to costly).... good to know. Thank you to all who answered me~
smile.png

We must be very close! If I didn't have Polish coming in an order next month, I sure would have picked up a few. I'm so proud of myself each time I walk out of there without any chicks! I was more tempted by the silver laced cochins.....my dream bird. But, my area's too muddy for now. Gotta love southern Oregon
roll.png

I've been surprised how many unusual breeds the Grange has been getting this year--they had cream Brabranters ( I just know I mangled that spelling--it's late, sorry), the Polish, large Cochins, and a couple other breeds that are on the rare side.

I don't think the Grange orders any straight run chicks except the Cornish cross, all the others are sexed pullets, sexed meaning vent sexed at the hatchery. I think they use Ideal, and another hatchery in Oregon? I forget the name.

I love the Grange, too, especially after all the horror stories I hear about other feed stores (not naming names but the initials are TSC
big_smile.png
)

Hi neighbor....I'm in Talent....where are you? I do love it here!!! I know.... the grange has been getting unusual breeds...i love it. That's how i made it out without buying some of those cute polish chicks...by telling myself they 'll be getting more later.... hee hee. That and i have two new little ones i bought from a private breeder( a silkie and a sizzle) still not sure of the sex yet.
What kind of Polish chicks are you getting? the ones at the grange were black with white crest. Cute...but i've seen some amazing different colored ones on line...where do you get those? I'm fairly new at all of this chicken raising stuff, but i've got the 'bug' and i want one of each hahaha..... i never knew there were so many different types and breeds :) now i need to look up the chicken breeds you just mentioned :) looks like we have another gorgeous day happening here.....time to go play in the garden!
Have a wonderful day.... oh and...' HAPPY EASTER!'
jumpy.gif
Cynthia~

Back
Top Bottom