Baby chicks combs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thiebert, Feb 9, 2016.

1. thiebert

thiebert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2015
    Can anyone tell me if it's normal for baby chicks to have a comb? I have never seen this before?

2. thiebert

Jul 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Those aren't combs. It looks like they are missing the fluff on their heads.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    It looks like the chicks have been pecking each other on the head. Lose the white light and put in a red bulb. (not a heat blub). Just a nice 85 watt red floodlight ( not the rugged kind which can have a Teflon coating. If under a red light , the chicks will not see red spots to peck on other chicks.
    Best,
    Karen

5. thiebert

Jul 28, 2015
    These are chicks that are for sale. I've just never seen chicks with little head heads before [​IMG]

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Are you sure it isn't paint/livestock marker? Maybe someone marked them by sex.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's paint/dye. One has a green mark. Combs aren't green, ever. It's done to identify breeds or gender in a mixed order

8. SoCal-ludic

SoCal-ludic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Hi I was recently told that hatchery often put dot of color on one breed of chicks to distinguish for another breed that looks virtually identical.

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, I've gotten chicks with dots of color on their heads like that. It disappears as the feathers come in to replace the down. It's just food coloring so it may even wear off before then.

But if you notice in a week or so some chicks with rapidly developing combs, they may very well be cockerels since they get combs early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by