Baby Chicks Dealing With The Heat

segnenlea

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 7, 2009
Pontotoc,MS
It has been so hot here in NE Mississippi that I have had 2 babies die so far~ and they aren't in an enclosed space. Everything is open to the breeze also. Is anyone else having issues?

Got mine on May 25th. For 3 weeks they were inside with air cond. About 3 1/2 I moved them out to my little fenced area right out the back door in an ex pen with a top, early mornings til it got up to 90`. Brought them back in about 11am. Did that for about a week. Then along with that, started them outside about dusk thru the night, for a few days. Then moved them out for good about 5 wk with fan, ice blocks every 2 hr in afternoon, have a heavy rug on the west side that I keep wet with cold water, along with moving them out to bigger ex pen in very green shady area early morning and late evening. Lots of wet grass and water. I got 7 Buff Orp Pullets, and so far I still have all 7.
Still at the same routine and will be til Oct when I can put them in Hen House 24/7 to acclimate them to the yard and Hen House. Its gonna be a long hot 3 more months for me. NEVER again will I get chicks in the summer. From now on they will arrive in Mid to Late Sept. This is for the birds!! Its been over 100 here now for 35 days and no rain. We are toast in this country!

pam in TX

Last edited:
Me either~ I will hatch mine from now on about september.. it will be much better then for these babies. It hasn't been this hot in a while and I know you guys are getting it alot worse than we are over in TX~ good luck~

christi

I got mine Sunday the 10th July and put them right in the coop in a small wading pool. Put the light on them and they have been fine. Got down to 66 here last night and when I went out to see them this morning they were all under the light. Today it got to 88 and they seemed fine. We have some 90+ temps coming for the weekend but I'm sure they will be fine. Just give lots of fresh water. I'm tempted to put mine out in the grass supervised of course just to see how they do.

I have older hens so I couldnt put mine in the hen house yet. When I got my 3 yr olds, I could do that, and by the time they were old enough, it was into fall. I got them mid July. It worked out great. It also was NOT this hot 3 summers ago.

Back
Top Bottom