baby chicks don't seem to be eating

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by herefordlovinglady, Sep 17, 2009.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Good morning all. I have 9 baby chicks that showed up with one of our hens (all our chickens are free range) but since there was a wild cat about i felt i better put mom and babies in a pen. I bought the starter feed and they just do not seem to be eating it. the only feed in the pen right now is some cabbage, a little scratch for mom and the grower. i am worried about mom not getting enough and wonder too why the babies don't seem to eat. They seem healthy and i know they are getting bugs from the pen, but in time that will run out i am sure.

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    How long have they been penned? How much feed did you put out? With just momma and the little ones they probably aren't going to eat a lot -- so if you put out a good amount you may just not be noticing much of a difference right away. And with momma used to free ranging it'll likely take her a couple days to choose to really fill up on the feed rather than looking for her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by