1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chicks due at christmas HELP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cencor, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Cencor

Cencor Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Hi we got our silkie snow in march we bought her with chicks an she.was a great mum sincethen weve got four more silkies an there all at our allotment. We noticed snow was sitting on eggs (as shes our first broobroody.we decided to see what happens) anyway after 7 days her stealing other eggs we seperated her. Shes in her own box we let her our until she goes back in each day. Shes sat on ten. It was more as she was stealing (we didnt know until she kicked 5out lol) anyway everything goin well we think but manchester uk weather can be bad an the chickies are due christmas eve. When they hatch should we take them home? Will they.need a heat lamp? As i said she was a great.mum when we got her sorry.for the essay all help is appreciated thanks x

2. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    I've heard that broodies take good care of their chicks in cold weather, but to be safe, I would bring the chicks and their momma inside. It's not necessary, but wouldn't hurt. [​IMG]Hard to do when they are still hatching so maybe you should bring them in a little before. [​IMG]

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    little chicks can get chilled easy- the first 3 weeks I have kepted chicks in the house in the winter, and at night brought a mom to sit on them, then put them all in a heated pen outside separate from the other hens and rounded up so they stay warm.

I have also seen people use a truck top cover for a temp separate pen for chicks this might work.
    good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    My silkie hatched one egg two weeks ago. Daytime temps have been in the 30's nighttime temps in the teens. No supplemental heat at all and the chick is thriving. She takes her chick out in the yard every day and the chick forages next to mama and warms up under her when needed. It is wonderful to watch!

2 people like this.
  5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Chicks are more cold hardy than we think. If they are with momma she will keep them plenty warm enough. You will see the chicks will be out from underneath her even on the colder days. When they get chilled they run back under mom for heat.

6. Cencor

Cencor Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks everyone think ill play it.by ear but have everything set up at home ready christmas chickens im excited x

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    my pip today-
    [​IMG]
    side ways- this box will be their home!

8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA