Baby chicks dying at night!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pinki7, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Pinki7

Pinki7 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    Please help! I have set up a biodynamic farm and part of our system are pasture reared chickens. We began by buying in 2 week old baby chicks from a local supplier( Ross breed) and kept them for another 2-4 weeks(depending on the weather) inside an enclosed building until they were strong enough to go out to pasture. For the last few months this has been running quite smoothly so we decided to take the next step and start with day old birds which has brought on a number of headaches where we have lost quite a number of birds but they all seem to only die at night. And i am not sure why?

2. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Are they warm enough
    Are they just died or are they missing or eaten
    Were in the brooder do they die the might be being smothered by the other chicks when they sleep

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    You need to post this in the emergency and illness thread. Are you keeping them warm enough?

4. Pinki7

Pinki7 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    Sorry still figuring out how to use this site. There seems to be a range of places. We lost quite a few directly under the lights so we lowered the level of the lights. We've ordered thermometers which should arrive on monday but we also lost quite a few along the brooder wall and this was in the same room where we lost chicks under the lights

5. Pinki7

Pinki7 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    Is there a way of moving the whole thread to another post without having to move each reply one by one

6. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    are your chicks huddling together or are they sleeping away from each other. If they are to cold they will huddle so close they will suffocate each other but if they are sleeping as far away from the light they can they could be to warm.
    and if there is a way to move a whole thread I have no idea how. Other than that they might have a decease that chicks get. Go to the top of the page here to the learning center and read. It has helped me out a bunch! Thank god for BYC!

7. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    I was going to say disease also but my thinking is they wouldn't drop died at only a certain time of the day. Can the op post a picture of them at night
    It might help us figured whats causing it

8. Pinki7

Pinki7 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    The heat sources are ceramic pig lamps which we now adjusted the height so that the temp at ground level is 30 degrees celsius. The room's ambient temp is 26 deg celsius. We treated a whole bunch today with pasty butt and they seem like theyre much happier now. We've now decided to install thermostats in all the rooms and will soon be putting extracters in the roof to remove any smells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by