Baby Chicks Dying, Bubbling at the Mouth. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by makynzie20, Nov 12, 2012.

1. makynzie20

makynzie20 New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    So Thursday morning we received our baby chicks. They were shipped to us just a day or two old, and they surprisingly all made the journey. The first night, we didn't lose any; however, when we woke up it looked as if two were dying (they were away from the rest of the chicks, and I believe the got too cold). I managed to bring them back with a little warmth and TLC. We were trying cold brooding (placing warm bottles of water in with the chicks instead of using a heat lamp and keeping them in the house-we now realize that this was a mistake, and we will use a heat lamp from now on). Saturday morning, we woke up to two dead and 5 struggling. We again brought all of them back to life by putting them out in the sunshine for a few hours. When we woke up Sunday morning there were only 5 still alive. We have no idea what happened. We had to leave for a few hours on Sunday, and when we got back three were alive and one looked like it was on its last leg. I cared for the sick one, but it finally died after bubbling at the mouth and throwing up a slightly yellow liquid. We were feeding them the chick food that came with them, and keeping clean water in with them as well. We had a towel in there with them to help keep them warm, could they be having a reaction to the detergent we use or could they have been sick before we got them or are we doing something wrong? Please help!
    *We also gave half of them to a cousin of mine and he has kept a heat lamp on them, but he said his are doing the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by