Baby chick's dying!! help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by megmarie90, Mar 4, 2016.

1. megmarie90

megmarie90 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Vale, NC
    We have two week old chick's we just purchased from our local farm stores. We have had them 3 days now. Woke up this am one was dead and since then another had passed by lunch. They all seemed healthy and alert when I went to bed. Keep fresh water food. And made sure they can get out of heat if need be. Now it seems about 2 more are seeming weak and not with it. Don't know what to do?! Don't notice any bloody stool or any issues other than they just kinda lay down and die. They have medicated starter feed and vitamins and electrolytes for water. Please any info or help will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    What is the temperature in their brooder? The exact same thing happened to my chicks, turns out they weren't staying warm enough. How often do you change their bedding? Could their bedding be dirty?

3. megmarie90

Mar 4, 2016
    Vale, NC
    Their temp is good. They don't stay huddled up. We clean their bedding every 2 days. I'm wondering if it can be Cocci?! They seem fine then get weak and fall over. Just kinda lay there and let other chick's walk over them. If that what it is can my healthy chick's catch it?

4. megmarie90

Mar 4, 2016
    Vale, NC
    Sadly after reading other forums. I'm wondering if we may have poisoned them with too much electrolytes?! TSC said we need to put a little in their water each time we water them but never specified how much to put in the little water feeder. We put maybe a teaspoon which looks to be way to much for that little water feeder. Turned water yellow. I have now gave them fresh clean water with nothing added. Have a couple that look weak but I pray I caught this in time I love my little chicks!!

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    A teaspoon does seem like a lot, I only just barely sprinkle a bit in a gallon sized drinker (enough for a very faint yellow tinge). If you're using one of those baby drinkers, definitely too much.

That being said, cocci is still a possibility. Chicks don't have to be exposed to the ground to get it. We can actually pick it up outside, at another farm or a store and contaminate the brooder. Having corrid on hand for emergencies is never a bad thing.

Anyway, :fl that they overload of electrolytes was the problem and they start perking up.

Sorry about the lost babies :hugs

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Put your ear beside the baby chicks and listen closely to their breathing. Do you hear any crackling sounds?

Check the chicks vents and be sure their is no poop stuck.

Are their nostrils clear from discharge?

Odd for two week olds to be dying so rapidly. I do hope we can find the problem so you can treat it before any more perish.

Maybe this is just me, but by two weeks old my chicks are off the electrolyte supplement. I normally only use electrolytes for newborns and day olds. Of course, if chicks are lethargic and sick that is different.

My best to you.

7. megmarie90

Mar 4, 2016
    Vale, NC
    I've checked their bottoms no poop is stuck. The weak ones will just get wobbly and lay down and I notice they have their mouths open and closing but not chirping. Like they are gasping. We had two more die this morning. Mostly all my RIR and one black sex link. I'm at loss for words it's so upsetting. What is the treatment for cocci?!

8. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

sounds like your electrolytes are the problem. Google comes up with results showing overdosing can be quite dangerous and even fatal even for humans, let alone tiny chicks. I would totally stop that, mine never had any and neither do hen raised chicks. Would think it's something you give as one or two doses to make up for any dehydration from being shipped in a box, not a long term addition for weeks. Your feed store should have been much clearer about it all.

With an already extremely likely cause for their deaths I wouldn't add treatment for cocci to their systems just for the heck of it.

Fingers crossed for your last ones!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  9. megmarie90

Mar 4, 2016
    Vale, NC
    I have three more RIR that look weak and not doing so good. Also I want to add the ones who are passing it looks like their wings are wet?! Also droopy. I'm going on get a photo as soon as I can.

10. Gnarled Carrots

Gnarled Carrots Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Washington
    It's always tragic when chickens die! But sometimes it happens and I'm sorry that you had to deal with it. I sometimes call it chicken SIDS. Some chickens just fail to thrive and, although unfortunate, it does happen. We just bought 15 day old chicks and 5 of them passed away during shipping or within the first 24 hours. It just happens sometimes.

I would eliminate the electrolytes completely, just in case that's the problem. Being a couple weeks old, they should be fine without them (a lot of people never use them). I'd also make sure that all of the chickens have equal access to food and water. Sometimes the larger, more dominant chickens will keep the weaker ones from eating and drinking. You could also separate the weaker ones from the rest of the flock and give them their own separate food and water. Giving them sugar water for an extra energy boost can also help, as long as they don't get diarrhea from it. Alternatively, you can warm plain yogurt and mix it in with their food. Both of these will give them enough sugar to hopefully perk them up enough to get them eating and drinking normally again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by