baby chicks dying...PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcallum3, Aug 21, 2010.

1. mcallum3

mcallum3 New Egg

Aug 21, 2010
    Hatched out 41 Buff Orpingtons several days ago & have already had 4 to die. First symptom is that they close their eyes but are able to still open them a little but their energy level seems to be normal, and as it progresses they cannot even open their eyes and they become very weak & lay their heads on the ground and can hardly move at that point. Then they lay around like they are asleep and won't move at all except to chirp. This is the second batch of BO's I've hatched out, and didn't lose any on the first batch. Needless to say I am very confused and worried. Thanks in advance for any help.
    By the way, sorry that my first post on BYC had to be a question like this. I've enjoyed the site for quite some time but have never joined until now.

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I'm not sure, but someone will have an answer for you! Good luck! Hope you find an answer.

Oh, by the way [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jen

3. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    1st thing u would think is are they getting enough food? think about grinding it up a bit. Also I got some stuff at tractor supply called chick saver its in single packs with 3 packs together at 1.99 its an electrolyte mix they have it now because they have chicks. I got a couple 3 packs and gonna get more when I get paied. But 4 is still not bad for that big of a hatch.

4. Marshmallow Man

Marshmallow Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Were they late hatchers? Sometimes the late hatchers seem to run out of food in the shell and use all their energy trying to get out. We just had a couple turkeys do that. They layed on their sides breathing hard and didn't ever get up. I euthanized them with some engine starting fluid sprayed on a paper towel and put them in a gallon size zip lock bag. They just go to sleep.

5. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:TMI [​IMG]

Jen

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Check your temps and make sure they can get away from the heat if they want to. Also, set up at least 3 feeders/waterers. Add some vitamins, Poly-Vi-Sol without Iron or Nutri-Drench, to the water for a few days.

It really sounds like a temp problem to me, but it could be competition. So sorry.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I am probably the only one who ever uses this as much as I do but when I hatched geese and ducks there always seemed to be a weak one. I would offer sugar water and a slurry. The slurry was nothing more than egg yolk, ground up starter and warm water. These chicks needed extra attention to make sure they ate and drank sufficient amounts. Good luck. I hope you don't lose any more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by