1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chicks dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by msshepherdess, Jan 9, 2013.

1. msshepherdess

msshepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    We had 27 baby chicks shipped in mid-October so they're now about 3 months old. Just this week we've lost 5 and they just appear squished in the pen. Still have heat lamp and plenty of space. One day there were 3 dead and all the rest were laying on top of them. Any suggestions?

2. msshepherdess

Feb 17, 2007
    We've lost 10 now. Down to 17.

3. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    How big is the pen? Are they able to get away from the heat source? Any visible signs of cocci? If the pen is big enough that they're not walking over one another or vying for space then I would think about treating for cocci. I like to use liquid Corid; 9.5ml per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If there appears to be some chicks that may need a direct dosage, I believe that someone on the forum has that formula broken down but you'll need to do a search for that thread. Good luck.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Are they warm enough??? They might be so cold they pile on top of each other. I know you have a heat lamp but it could be to far away.

5. msshepherdess

Feb 17, 2007
    Will it hurt to worm them if I'm not sure about the cocci? I did see a little bit of bloody poop.

6. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Bloody poop is usually cocci. Do they appear droopy?

7. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you saw any bloody poop at all just treat them for cocci otherwise you may loose a whole lot more. It moves fast and it's deadly and often by the time they show signs of being unwell it's too late to save them. With coccidiosis it's always best to tell yourself "if in doubt, rule it out"! You may very well save the rest of the bunch.

As far as worms.... at their age I'd be very, very surprised if they were carrying such a heavy load of worms as to kill them, especially several of them. I'd really be highly suspicious of cocci. I'd start treating them today with Corid. If you have any that are looking sick and not wanting to drink you can dose them directly every few hours until they start feeling better and drinking on their own.

At their age, fully feather and with a heat lamp available cold shouldn't be an issue unless they are exposed to drafts or wind at night.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. msshepherdess

Feb 17, 2007
    don't have corid. Does Tractor Supply carry it?

10. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes I believe it does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by