1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chicks dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henney penny, Mar 2, 2014.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    My showgirl chicks are 5 day old,they are in the house in an fish tank that I have used many times for a brooder,I have Ecoglow heater for them,water,chick starter,clean paper towels changed once a day. Two started dying and I think there will be more.It was sudden,went to church this morning they were fine,when I got home one of them started hollering bending his head down,then went down and did not get up,gasping for air,and hour later was dead,same with the second one.The only thing different thing I did was put cheap paper towels on the bottom.They eat mana pro chick med chick feed, I did check the exp date on it and it ran out 7-22-13 which is not that far over.I have been putting nutria drench in their water.Just stunned and so sad.Any ideas anyone??? These are from my own stock,and first chicks from them

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I would get them out of the aquarium......immediately....
    They may not be getting enough oxygen....
    I've seen this happen before...and once they were removed from the aquarium, they were fine...

3. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    There is no top on the tank,its all open

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  4. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    The top may not be on,
    but it still might not be getting enough air circulation for one reason or another...
    Maybe an area is not getting enough cooled enough and staying to warm...
    I don't know..
    I just know I've seen this, and taking them out fixed the problem...
    I'd take them out and see if they start acting okay again....

It's up to you.... I'm no expert.... but I'd sure try it....

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think I would worry about the expired chick starter. Aflatoxin or aspergillosis from moldy food could be a possible problem. Whether you see mold or not I would toss it.

1 person likes this.
  6. okjenyp

okjenyp Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    Im curious about the ventilation thing. Ive had two chicks die myself. Sounds similar. I have mine in a big rubbermaid tote with a heat lamp

7. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG]

OK they are in a tote,new food.I did call the vet and told him their symptons.He thinks it might be the nutri drench I was putting the water.He said to much electrolytes when they don`t need it can cause brain swelling.I did not know that.I thought by adding the vit. to the drinking water I was keeping them healthy.It says its a poultry nutrition supplement and I don`t see where it has any electrolytes in it,but it may have been to much for them.He said just water unless you see something else going on.I did switch to plain water yesterday when that started happening.There is one that is still acting funny,but the others seem fine.It was so sad to see the like that,this is the part I hate about having animals.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I was using the poultry,using 3/4 tsp,to a half gallon of water.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That was way too small a dose to cause problems. I think the instructions say to use 4 ounces in 1 gallon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by