Baby chicks eating pine shavings

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by morningchick, Mar 12, 2015.

1. morningchick

morningchick New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Orange County N.Y.
    Hi All, My 3 week old chicks were moved from my dining room to the shed yesterday. I used shavings for their bedding. They were not used to shavings since I used shelf liner while inside. I have been checking on the chicks and every time I check I see them eating the shavings. Is this cause for concern and should I switch to straw? Any help would be appreciated. I have raised chicks before and never had this probem. Thanks!

2. Curlyginger

Curlyginger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    How big is your brooder box? When mine did this, I covered the shavings with paper towels for a few days.

3. morningchick

morningchick New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Orange County N.Y.
    The brooder is 6x3. I originally used paper towels at week 2 and they were ripping and eating them. Then I switched to rubber shelf liner. I only have 3 chicks since I am adding to my small flock.

4. lena

lena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi
    I have exactly same problem with my chicks! I have only 3 and they are 4 weeks old.
    All 4 weeks they were on plastic shelf lining. When I finally decided that they old enough to move to shaving lined coop, they like a mad started eating pine shavings.I waited for a couple hours, hoping that they'll finally realize this is not something eatable.They didn't! So I moved them back to old plastic liner.
    Even after moving back, they were searching for shaving leftovers and eating it, like most delicious food they ever had!
    I raised chicks before and never had this problem!!!

5. morningchick

morningchick New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Orange County N.Y.
    Hi, I moved mine onto hay and feel much better about it. I have my older hens on pine shavings and it is my preferred bedding material. For now my 5 week old chicks will get hay until they are integrated into the flock. Do you think we are too focused on those adorable little babies!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by