Baby chicks eating random things...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NoobChick858, Aug 4, 2013.

1. NoobChick858

NoobChick858 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    I just started letting my 2 week old chicks go outside for small periods of time. They love going to the wall where it joins with the floor (the dirty part). I've seen them pick at spider webs, dust, twigs, and lint. By the time I tried to take the lint away from them, they ate it. Will they get sick? Is this all bad for them? I'm so worried.

They also prefer to stay on pavement rather than in the dirt. When i try placing them in the dirt, they run straight back for the pacement. Is that weird? I thought they were supposed to like that stuff.

2. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I think they'll be fine! What kind of lint do you mean? I just started letting my babies out too!!! Almost kept them out for the night but thought they'd get chilly! Should I ween them off of their heating lamp? I have a great, secure and safe coop for them so no predators can get to them!

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    They are pretty tough about what they eat. Actually pretty smart too about not eating things they shouldn't. They may taste it but will stop if it doesn't appeal to them. They will figure out dirt isn't a bad thing.

4. NoobChick858

Jul 30, 2013
    It looks like pocket lint. There's dryer vent around there, so I'm assuming the lint is from there. How old are your chicks? Since mine are only 2 weeks, I still keep them on the heat lamp. I'll keep going till they're okay with more "regular" temperatures.

5. NoobChick858

Jul 30, 2013
    Thank goodness! I started giving them yogurt to help beef up their digestive system because I just wasn't sure.

They still pick at their poop though... Why don't they realize what it is if they've stuck their beaks in it time and time again (It's super cute when they wipe it off though)? Can they smell?

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Some are definitely smarter than others and lean quicker. Even at that it takes a while when they are small.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Since your babies don't have a momma to show them what is good to eat, they have no choice but to try things and see if they're good. A lot of things just get tasted and put back down, some unlikely things get eaten, like the lint. It's not going to hurt them, their digestive system can handle things you'd think would surely kill them. They explore with their mouth/beak, just like a human baby/child that puts everything in their mouth.

8. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I have 5 2 week old and 3 3 week olds! Let them outside during day and then bring them in at night under heating lamp! It's been cooler temps here at night! Want them to be comfy warm!

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

Chickens eat poop. It’s how they share probiotics. It’s how they develop flock immunities. Poop is full of partially digested nutrients. Chickens eat poop. Lots of animals do.

10. NoobChick858

Jul 30, 2013
    Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by