baby chicks eye is closed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BellLisamo, Feb 25, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    This is the 1st time a chick has hatched. My broody hatched them. But I looked at the babies, and one has a shut eye. What do I do?
    Does it have a virus?

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Hi, I saw your post and thought I'd see how that baby was doing? Did they eye open? Is is swollen or goopy? [​IMG]I am a new chick mom so I don't have any answers for you but I wanted you to know someone was listening.

3. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    [​IMG] I have one doing the exact same thing. Acts fine, no goop and chirps like the dickens. Eating and drinking too. Can't wait to see what the experts say ...

4. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    the baby died... mother broody didnt take very good care of the 2. ugh. i knew i should have taken them..

[​IMG]

5. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    darn it.........sorry!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    So Sorry for your loss. I don't have an answer for you and hope someone does post one. I have one with a completely brown eye. Not like the others, but she eats and drinks ok. I thought she might be blind in the one eye.

7. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    well i guess we all live and learn. i still wonder why its eye was sealed shut. maybe got dirt or something caught in it. too young to know what to do. i buried the 2 chicks yesterday. they were my first chicks hatched out, so they deserved some respect. They used to come out to see me when id go check on them and broodzilla.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by