1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chick's eye looks bad please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frankie Ann, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Frankie Ann

Frankie Ann New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    [​IMG]

My new baby is loosing its hair around the eye and now it's got clear liquid coming out like it's crying. REALLY scared please help, not sure what to do

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you get some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment from your feed store? Usually you have to ask a clerk for them.

3. Frankie Ann

Frankie Ann New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    I will go to all the feed stores tomorrow and find some! Someone said to try org. coconut oil? but I will try the ointment you suggested first. Does ACV really help chicks? is it ok for older chickens?

4. Frankie Ann

Frankie Ann New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    Thank YOU!!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would only use saline, Vetericyn eye gel, or Terramycin Eye ointment in the eye. I have used plain neosporin ointment in one chicken's eye who had been pecked in an emergency. Have youj noticed any nasal drainage or sneezing in the chick? Respiratorh diseases such as bronchitis and MG can cause watery eyes, but he may have been pecked or got something in his eye to irritate it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by