Baby chicks falling over???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hijabifarmer, Sep 6, 2016.

1. hijabifarmer

hijabifarmer New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    We lost one chick this morning [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] now my 3 others are just falling over only under the heat light are they just sun bathing is it normal when I look in to the pen and they see me they get right up but then just flip over on there side .....

I'm very new and I'm scared (don't laugh at me )[​IMG]

2. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

Hi there.i see you are having a few problem.:)
    I am going to drive you nuts with questions but...
    What kind of food are they eating?
    How old are they?
    How is there brooder set up?
    Is here poop odd?

1 person likes this.
  3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your chicks?
    Do they have a way to escape the heat lamp?
    What is your outdoor temp?
    Any bloody stools?
    Are they drinking enough water?
    Nobody is going to laugh at you, promise.
    Everyone was new to keeping chickens once.

1 person likes this.
  4. hijabifarmer

hijabifarmer New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    They are 4 wks
    They eat Dumont starter feed 20% protein
    Right now they r in a giant rubbermate bin on top of the washer with a heat lamp hanging about 1 ft above the non with a towel over one side giving them shade
    We didn't have a heat lamp before today but a chic died and we were advised to get one the breeder didn't have one and said we didn't need one

As soon as they saw the red light they acted like they fainted it was so weird I felt it might be too hot that's why I moved it further away from them and nope same thing
    I believe they r eating and drinking normal and they r pooping Brown is poop with a bit of white towards the end

I'm not sure is this what's known as sunbathing also they r chirping quite a bit just like the one who passed did last night

Boy growing baby's r very hard haha we only started with 4 shud have got 12 I guess I'm in the process of building a co-op out of scrap wood and 5 gal paint buckets so they can eventually go outside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by