Baby chicks form a ball?

BubbaLikesIt

Songster
Feb 9, 2013
Easter has come and gone and the baby chicks have already started showing up. I was given 4 BSL's last night by a woman that used them for Easter festivities. It happens every year. Anywho, my broody chicken has a clutch right now so I had to put them in the brooder under a lamp. At 2 AM I went to the kitchen for water and looked out the window at the coop. No red light? You can see the light from the window very easily so I went out to the coop. The breaker blew on the coop so I reset the breaker and the light came back on and I checked on the chicks. It was 43 degrees last night and I found the chicks in a near perfect ball. You couldn't see a head, wing or foot, just a fuzzy little black ball. I've seen them group up when it's cold but never form a ball. BTW, they are all great and running around this morning.

Easter is the holiday I hate the most. All those baby chicks, bunnies and ducklings.....I can't imagine the amount that die because of dumb people.:he

We are known by too many people as someone that will take baby chicks in. "A friend of a friend of a friend told us you would take our baby chicks". Happens every year and I've had some people show up twice. It's pathetic, but we do like the egg layers. Last year a man and woman brought 3 small chicks over that I thought were Leghorns. They weren't. They were Cornish/Rocks crosses. 26 weeks and they were 22 pounds. I don't know how you feel about eating chicken but those worked out great.

Back
Top Bottom