Baby chicks found dead outside coop?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2 many chickens, May 26, 2019.

1. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    I have a broody bantam cochin that successfully hatched four babies, she also has a silkie that is helping her sit and tend to her chicks. They are both being good mothers co-parenting. I have food and water right next to them. There is 2 roosters with them and a few other hens who are not being agressive or anything. All seems to be great. The chicKS are 4 days old and both mom's are still sitting on eggs.

Well, here's the scoop..

I have an automatic coop door and it did not close last night. I found two dead babies outside in their pen. They were cold and stiff. I don't understand how they died. They were no injuries .
    Is it possible they couldn't find their way back up to mom and froze? It was only in the upper 70s last night. Why wouldn't mom go to them? Why did she ignore their cries?

Is it possible the others chickens threw the babies outside or something?
    Should I take the remainder of the babies from her or leave them? Also why is she still sitting after four days?

I apologize for the cluster of questions.

My husband thinks the chickens did this and wants to bring them in.
    I don't feel like the chickens caused this.. I feel like they wandered too far and couldn't get back.

Thanks all.

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 likes this.
  2. tn_artist

tn_artist Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Wilson, NC
    The only thing I can help with is that chicks that young need to be in the 90-95 degree range. Sorry for your loss.

Sequel likes this.
  3. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    The mom was worried about the eggs so she probaly didnt go to the chicks. As stated above it was to cold. The chicks could have wondered or the other chcieksn could have kicked them out. I'd wait till they all hatch and then take the moms and the babies off the nest and into the run

4. honanbm

honanbm Guess it's just you and me, chicken hat

May 25, 2015
    Western Washington
    Sometimes an excellent broody doesn't always make the best mother chicken.
    If she is sitting on more eggs, she may prioritize hatching more babies over caring for her existing chicks. Are the other eggs fertile? Do you have an expected hatch date?

It sounds like your little ones wandered off and couldn't get back in the coop, so they got too cold and died. Seeing as the chicks are four days old, I would make a choice and either take the remaining eggs from her or take the chicks.
    So sorry you lost a couple. Chickens have a tendency to keep us learning.

5. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    Is there any more eggs under her? Fertile or not? Shes probaly still in the sitting mode once all the chicks are hatched I remove the moms and the babies from the nest and into the ground this gets them outta that "mode" so to say

6. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Chirping

May 19, 2019
    Raised a lot of chicks using broody hens and have had much better results by separating the broody from the flock and confining her to a closed location with their own food and water. Sorry you lost your

NewchickieLTJ and Sequel like this.
  7. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    The eggs are fertIle and pretty far a long. She kept collecting and stealing everyone's eggs. I didnt even notice she was broody and sitting until a week in. And now the silkie is sitting with her and I don't know the status of those eggs. More than likely due to hatch soon as I figure she stole some of the cochins eggs sneakly.

I don't really want to brood these guys, I'd rather mom take on this role. I don't want to find anymore dead babies, though. I think I'll take her off the nest and let the silkie take those eggs? Would that work? I figure she needs to get out of this trance and tend to her babies.

I should note, the silky has only been broody for a week so what would happen if those eggs under her hatch? She hasn't been broody very long.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When I have had broody's I have a broody hutch I put the mother to be in with her eggs.

Sequel likes this.
  9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have taken the eggs and put them in my incubator.

10. honanbm

honanbm Guess it's just you and me, chicken hat

May 25, 2015
    Western Washington
    This sounds like a good plan of action. Best to get her away from those eggs so she takes care of her existing chicks. They can co-parent when the Silkie hatches the rest. I'd be sure to destroy the Cochin's nest entirely when passing them on to the Silkie so she doesn't try to get back on the nest. Is there a way you can separate the mama bird and chicks from the rest of your group? Maybe a little dog kennel or something?

Santa Claus and Sequel like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: