baby chicks get beat up

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by micloscrib, Apr 15, 2009.

1. micloscrib

micloscrib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Iowa
    alright i got 2 baby chicks and now there 5 weeks old. i want to put them outside with my 1 barren rock rooster and 2 sexlinks but when i did they got the crap beat out of them so i took them back inside.
    i tried it again like 2 weeks later and it happened again wats the deal.
    i want to keep them outside now cuz its nice now
    anyone have a clue

2. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    Its because they are new. Do you have a way of separating them in the coop so the others can see them and get use to them first. That is what I have read on here. All new chickens in the flock go through that.

3. micloscrib

Feb 24, 2009
    Iowa
    no i dont.
    wat can i do then

4. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    Do you have extra chicken wire where you can make them a little area in the coop. To my understanding you are going to have this issue no matter what, even when they are bigger they are still going to have to find their place in the rank so to speak. It just makes it easier if they can be introduced behind some protection for a while until everyone is introduced so to speak.

5. micloscrib

Feb 24, 2009
    Iowa
    well i have a chicken tractor i keep all them in. i have a lil bit but i dont think it will work

6. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    it will definetly happen... pecking order needs to be established

7. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    yeah its kinda normal.. If you have a cage or something even, you could put them inside the cage and put the cage inside the coop for a while.

8. crackertrail

crackertrail Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Hardee County
    I had a beautiful grown rooster that I wanted to introduce to the flock. They actually injured him to the point that he died. I just figured since he was so big that he would be alright, but not so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by