Baby Chicks Getting Food Stuck on Roof of Mouths

treeoflife5785chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
So, I have chicks that are two weeks old. The store keeper gave me grower feed rather than starter feed, and so not sure if the grains were too large for the chicks. I noticed they kept pushing aside larger grains to get the more crumblike textured food, so I decided to puree some in my vitamix. They seemed to really enjoy it, except that it kept getting stuck to the roof of their mouths. My question is, can this hurt my babies? I removed it and they seem active and just fine. They are hardy Rhode Island Reds, very active and happy chicks. Could it just be eating such fine grained food and not drinking enough water? Thank you for your time. These little cutie pies are such a blessing and I do not want any harm to come to them.

Is the grower feed pellets?? You can do 2 things. Get a small bag of crumbles chicken feed,, and feed them that now. In the time they grow to finish the crumbles bag ,, they will be just fine eating the grower pellets.
Second option;
Break up the pellets manually, to make not such fine powder. Use whatever you have handy. A quantity between 2 boards,, and stand on top with motion,,, to break those pellets down some, will work.
A meat grinder,, (if you have one) would make smaller pieces of the pellets as well.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

That is a great idea! Thank you caveman Rich. I might try that meat mallet idea. Our chickens are eating the Scratch and Peck grower feed, which is pricey, and we have a 40 lb bag we intend on using, until of laying age. The meat cleaver idea helps us control the size. Iwill try this first thing tomorrow and post how it goes over with the girls. The two smallest ones are having the issues it seems. It is funny how they all grow at different rates. Goodnight, thank you, and God bless.

Since you're using Scratch & Peck I'd really encourage you to look into fermenting it, or at least serving it wet. Left to their own devices chickens will pick out their favorite pieces of food and not get a complete and balanced diet.

The grower is probably a bit big for babies. I don't even offer S&P starter until around 2 weeks, as I feel that even their starter feed is a bit on the large side for very young chicks.

Since you're using Scratch & Peck I'd really encourage you to look into fermenting it, or at least serving it wet. Left to their own devices chickens will pick out their favorite pieces of food and not get a complete and balanced diet.

The grower is probably a bit big for babies. I don't even offer S&P starter until around 2 weeks, as I feel that even their starter feed is a bit on the large side for very young chicks.
Rosemary, Thank you for this very personal advice, as it sounds like you are very familiar with the brand of food. I have thought about fermenting it, and you have given me the courage to try it. Thank you for taking the time to offer some wisdom. God bless you!

The chickens really liked their feed fermented, not at first, but have to be patient chicken mama's! Now that they are 3 weeks old, I have also noticed this problem correcting itself as their beaks have grown. My little Scarlett is the only one with the food on her mouth, but not as bad as it once was.

Back
Top Bottom