Baby chicks growing feathers

412cluckers

Hatching
Feb 27, 2017
Hi! I'm new to raising chickens. My baby chicks are starting to grow their feathers. Is it normal for them to look scraggly when they do??

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds pretty normal. Are they eating chick starter?

They go through a few ugly stages. You can always post pics if have real concern there is something wrong.

Also, try not to hold them too tightly when they do have the pin feathers growing in. It can be quite uncomfortable for them.

They are on chick starter. I did notice the pin feathers and I am not holding them too much right now. Thanks for the info! I was just a little unsure. :)

Last edited:
Which ones are the pen feathers? Ours are about a week or so old and have most wing feathers with just a bit of down left. Starting to grow tail feathers. They have this scraggly stuff on their breasts though.

Which ones are the pen feathers? Ours are about a week or so old and have most wing feathers with just a bit of down left. Starting to grow tail feathers. They have this scraggly stuff on their breasts though.
Here is a pic of pin feathers... essentially the quills that are the hard shafts....

pinfeathers590.jpg

ETA: Wing feathers grow in first. Head feathers will grow in last. And the fluff on the bum will stay fluffy forever.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom