Baby chicks hatched outside with broody hen

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
One of my new hens laid 13 eggs outside behind pokey bushes and it has been about 22 days. I thought I heard a bit of chirping by the nest this morning but nothing else when I kept trying to listen. I would love to get them inside the coop in the lovely dog cage I set up for them but I think I will have a hard time with that since the mom haven't been in the coop for a while and I think it will be hard trying to move 13 of them plus the mom. We have other chickens too and it looks like one of them found the nest when the broody came out to eat. Even if I want to move the chicks, I wouldn't be able to reach back there because I would get poked in the face from the sticky berry bushes and tree branches. Should I just leave food and water in that general area? I have a few pea vine gates I can put up so the other chickens won't be able to get to them as easily but they would still be able to get there from the bush area. Not sure how to handle this.

They hatched! I saw a couple hanging out by the mom but when I went back 20 minutes later, I didn't see them anymore. I think they're hiding under the mom. I read that they don't need food until 24-48 hours after they've hatched but when would they need water? I bought them some electrolytes. I will also provide plain water. Will the mom wait until all are hatched before she will leave her nest? She's usually out by this time to eat and drink but I haven't seen her come out yet.

I will also provide plain water.
That's all they need.

Will the mom wait until all are hatched before she will leave her nest? She's usually out by this time to eat and drink but I haven't seen her come out yet.
She will usually sit tight until all hatch....but some probably won't due to an unmonitored nest with the other birds laying there the whole 22 days.

I was debating on whether to buy them medicated feed or not and decided to buy organic non-medicated. I already have Corid and I read that I could give it to them as preventative from cocci in a low dose 3-5 days every 3 weeks. When should I start giving them Corid? How long would they need it? They're already in the dirt so I don't know if that changes anything.

Back
Top Bottom