baby chicks hatching!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BHyder1, Jun 27, 2010.

1. BHyder1

BHyder1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Missouri
    I need help, my 3 hens all went broody at the same time, they switched boxes several times, laying on around 22 eggs total. Yesterday 1 chick hatched, today I have 4 more!! so cute! My question, do I leave them in the box with the hen, or remove them ? I am afraind that they will fall out of the box. How does the hen teach them to eat and drink? And will she just keep setting on the eggs until they are are all hatched, or will she take care of the babies?? Confused...

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

My hen hatched out 3 chicks in April. I kept plenty of food close to her nest box, and she'd teach the chicks how to find food off & on all day long. She continuedsetting until the last egg hatched out. She did keep her chicks close to the nest for the first week, then she wanted outside, so we sat outside to guard her & the babies the first few days. Once we noticed she didn't want us near, we gave her & her brood more space from us. Offering treats a few times daily, so the chicks would learn the words we choose to call them in. Worked like a charm! Those little ones came running to us in just a few days.[​IMG] good luck to you, my feather loving friend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by