1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chicks help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by siamshirl, Jul 30, 2007.

1. siamshirl

siamshirl Cooped Up

Jul 18, 2007
    tupelo mississippi
    i need to put these 3 week old baby chick in a coop that held my other older chickens there about 4 months old i put them in a different coop is it ok to put the baby chicks in the old coop if i raked it out and its pretty clean im just worried be cause ive heard that u need to keep the coop free of birds for 12 days before adding new birds any addvice would help im kinda new to this poultry deal and the baby birds are pecking each other i think because the plastic pool i had them in i guess is getting cramped some birds are getting hurt so i kinda dont have 12 days to wait to put them in so what do i need to do put them in there or just wait

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Spray the walls, roosts, nest boxes, floor etc. with a 10% bleach solution and let it air out and dry throughly before putting the chicks in. The bleach should kill most organisms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by