Baby Chicks in Coop with other Chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HidingInTheHenHouse, Nov 28, 2008.

1. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My broody silkie hatched out 3 chicks last Sunday. I have her in the coop, enclosed in a chicken "cage" with food and water. This is where she stayed the whole time she sat on the eggs. The other hens will bully her and such, so I didn't want them kicking her off her nest several times a day. When should I open the door and see what happens? I am worried that the other chickens will go in the cage to get the food and water and then peck at the chicks if mom isn't in there at that time. I've let mom out a couple of times since they hatched, but I always watch the chicks until she comes back. The chicks have not tried to follow her, even when she is out of sight.

It is such a neat thing to watch the chicks and their mom interact. I am still just amazed that the chickens "know" all the right things to do without anyone showing them or teaching them.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Is she low in the pecking order ?? Most mama hens will protect the babies from others, I have never had an issue with my older chicks/chickens hurting the babies, my mama (silkie) will put the others in line if they get to testy. But all flocks are different. I would try letting them all out together, open the door and let mama take them out slowly (they will follow the more she calls them) but I would keep an eye on then, the sooner the flock gets use to them the easyer it will be. Good luck, let me know what happens !!

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I did the same thing as you...just before the chicks hatched I put a chicken wire "fence" around the expectant mom and I kept it there for about a week after the chicks hatched, maybe a little less. I didn't even give her the opportunity to leave the area though she could have flown over the "fence" if she had wanted to. After a week, I took the fence away but watched closely to see the interaction. Basically, she took the chicks in a different area than the rest. In my case, the others didn't ever try to bother her and the chicks. If they came close, she would chase them away. Good luck with yours!

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    My Mama takes the babies all over the coop.The chicks have been running around everybody the other pullets the roos everywhere.Once in awhile Mama decides somebody looked the babies wrong or something and chases them but for the most part nobody seems to be to upset over anything that is going on with her and the chicks.It is very cute to watch and listen to the mama talk to her babies and scratch just like their mama.She will find some tidbit or something and cluck to them then set it down for them to eat.

5. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My mama took her chicks outside when they were only 1 day old! There have no problems with the other hens. Mama even showed them where the outdoor feed was! They just took over! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. leejaehwa

leejaehwa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    Arkansas
    Some hens that I used to have helped take care of the chicks while others that I had pecked at the chicks but most hens should defend their chicks on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by