Baby chicks in Dallas!

CrazyAuntLaura

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Hello all!!

I've been following this website for years, and finally just got three of my first baby chicks yesterday! I'm expecting 2-3 more in a few days. So far, it's been such fun! I raised chickens as a kid, but haven't had them for a couple of decades.

We finished the coop earlier this week, and it turned out even greater than I expected!

I had the vision, and my father had the amazing woodworking skills to help me make it into a reality. Along with the help of my husband and other friends, we got it finished in just 2 days! We live in a neighborhood in Dallas, TX, and the neighbors love it, too!

So far, I have 3 baby chicks:

Daisy (a Speckled Sussex)

Darcy (a Cuckoo Maran)

And Ginger (a Rhode Island Red)

Our cat, Keebler, is helping to keep an eye on the little ladies. (with close supervision, of course)

And later this week, I'm getting 2 Ameraucanas and possibly a Silkie. Still not sure if I want to get a baby Silkie, since there's no guarantee it'll be a female! But I'm thinking about it...

Looking forward to getting to know you all better! :)

Last edited:
They grow fast and before you know it will be flying to the top of the brooder and OUT. Best to have a wire top on the brooder so that they don't escape and kitty doesn't join them.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! What adorable chicks! Sounds like you'll have a nice selection of breeds!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised about an hour northeast of Dallas (Blue Ridge for her, Greenville for me). You have a beautiful coop, and some really cute chicks. I love the chocolate eggs of the Cuckoo Marans. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Your coop and run look beautiful. Have you thought about predator proofing your run from burrowing predators (dogs, foxes, racoons etc.)?

Thanks, everyone!

LIChickens: We're planning on adding a solar powered electric wire all the way around the bottom. So anything wanting in that way gets a good zap!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Cute chicks, and beautiful coop!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What a cute coop! Good luck with your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom